Sometimes experimental baking does not yield what you have in mind but works out in a different way. I’ve been looking at the new bottle of mint essence wondering what type of cookies can be made with it. I chose to adapt a choc chip cookie recipe to fit the bill. The cookies taste good but the green colour really doesn’t work. When they came out of the oven I immediately had visions of Halloween. So while these do not look very pretty, they would be perfect on 31st October.
225 grams margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp mint essence
green food colouring (start with a few drops and add more if you want it darker)
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups choc chips
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the mint essence, colouring and eggs.
- Sieve flour, bicarb, and salt into the sugar mixture
- Add the choc chips and combine well.
- Spoon out in portions of a heaped teaspoon and roll into balls, lightly press with a floured fork.
- Bake for 15 mins