A while ago I made roast vegetable lasagne and loved it but forgot how to make it. This time I looked at an Angela Day recipe but made so many changes that it didn’t resemble the original recipe much but is pretty darn yummy. You can be flexible with the roasting veg, if you want to substitute or add ingredients such as mushrooms, go ahead and play. I have also found that the sauce is great simply served with pasta or polenta.
ROAST VEGTABLE LASAGNE (serves 6 – 8)
1 medium butternut diced
2 red / yellow peppers seeded and diced
300 grams baby marrow sliced
1 red onion cut into wedges
1 brinjal (eggplant) diced
45 ml olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cans chopped tomatoes
60 ml sherry
10 ml chopped garlic
50 grams tomato paste
1 cup cooked lentils or 1 tin drained and rinsed
10 ml sugar
45 ml chopped basil
1 tub crème fraîche
250 ml white sauce
± 250 ml grated mozarella
- Combine all veg in a baking tray drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for ± 40 min until vegetables are soft
- remove and set aside
- While veg are roasting. Put tomatoes, sherry, garlic, tomato paste and lentils in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, simmer for ± 15 min. Season then add sugar and basil.
- Remove from heat, add the roast veg to the tomato mixture.
- Combine crème fraîche and white sauce
- Arrange a layer of lasagne sheets at the base of an oven proof dish roughly 30 x 22 cm, spread with half of the tomato & veg mixture, top with half the crème fraîche and white sauce, repeat for 2nd layer. Top with grated cheese
- Bake at 180° C for 30 – 40 min until the top is golden brown