I have a little home industry baking business, Sula’s Kitchen. A customer asked me to make Marie Fudge. I had never tasted let alone made this traditional Afrikaans treat but set about looking for recipes. I found a few but was not totally happy with the result, after a few tweaks this is the recipe which I now use. My lovely Afrikaans customer says that it’s the best she’s ever had and orders regularly.
180 g Marie Biscuits (remove biscuits 6 from a 200g packet)
125 g butter
250 g Icing sugar
1 TBS cocoa
½ tsp vanilla
- Grease a rectangular dish aprrox. 16 cm x 26 cm
- Break up the Marie biscuits
- Melt butter over a low heat, set it aside to cool for about 10 mins
- Beat egg, and add to melted butter, beat
- Add icing, cocoa and vanilla to the butter and egg mixture, beat again
- Combine the butter mixture with the broken biscuits
- Spoon into dish, spread and level with the back of a spoon
- Cut into squares after about an hour in the refrigerator using a knife dipped in boiling water and dried with paper towel.
Store in the refrigerator