The 1st pair I made were the red, his head was very tight going through the neck hole of the top and is a bit uncomfortable when taking off and putting on. On the 2nd pair I cut the neck piece on the cross (diagonally on the fabric which gives maximum stretch).
I found the 1st top (red) to be a bit too short and had a very small hem (about 5mm) which then looks a bit wavy. With the 2nd top (blue) I added 4cm to the pattern length which gave me a 2cm hem which is much smarter and the top is a little longer which I prefer.
On the 1st top (red) I didn’t like that it flares so wide, Fjord is a very skinny kid. On the 2nd one (blue) I cut the fabric more straight down instead of flaring out as the pattern shows.
Update 20/08/2014 – I have had so much milage out of this pattern, I used it again for winter pyjamas this year and now I am making nighties for spring, I have cut out 3 so far for my daughter and 2 nieces but I’m sure to make at least another 3 in the next few weeks. My only complaint is that I have really struggled to find pretty printed t shirt material, which is why I’m only making them for the first time now. I had visions of a print with strawberries or flowers, well here in Jo’burg all I can find is plain colours. I decided to embroider the names onto the nighties and make them a bit more exciting with pictures painted on with fabric paint. I am not an artist, in fact my artistic skills are next to zero but I am so happy with the result. This one was posted to my niece this morning for her birthday on Monday.
To tie the shirt in with pants bottom fabric I added a pocket