Last week I got a huge bag of Red and Yellow peppers at Woolworths for an excellent price. Wanting to make a pasta sauce I looked up many recipes then went off and made up my own. It went down really well and I will be making it again.
ROAST RED (AND/OR YELLOW) PEPPER PASTA SAUCE (serves 4)
4 – 6 Red and/or Yellow peppers
± 30 ml oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 punnet mushrooms
1 tin peeled and chopped tomatoes
80 ml sherry
1 tsp brown sugar
handful chopped fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme, basil, parsley
1 Cup (250 ml) veg or chicken stock
30 ml brown onion soup powder
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp paprika
60 ml cream
- Place Red Peppers under the grill and blacken the skins, turning frequently. Remove and place in a container with lid and leave to sweat for about 20 min. Slice in half, remove seeds, then peel off outer skin
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and gently fry onions and mushrooms until soft and browning.
- Add diced roasted peppers, tomato, sherry, brown sugar, herbs, stock, brown onion soup and garlic
- Simmer over a low heat with lid on saucepan for about half an hour.
- Stir in paprika and cream, heat through and serve.
It’s a good idea to double up the recipe and freeze half for another day