To make these I used the aptly named Perfect vanilla cupcake recipe on Glorious Treats as a base and made a tweak or two. I am besotted with this recipe and can’t stop playing with it, the cupcakes are moist, light and simply divine.
LEMON CUPCAKES (makes 15- 16)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2 cup sunflower oil
100 ml milk plus 25 ml lemon juice- add lemon juiced to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)
* Preheat oven to 180° C
* In a medium bowl, sieve cake flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer using the whisk attachment, beat eggs for 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add lemon rind and oil, beat for about 1 minute.
* Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined. Scrape down the side of the bowl.
* The batter will be thin. Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
* Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes.
* Cool in pan 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
For icing, mix 1 cup icing sugar, 2 tsp lemon juice, slowly add enough water to make it soft enough to spread