Indian Butter Chicken and Chicken Palak are my favourite curries. This recipe is a winner
Chicken Palak (serves 4)
500 grams chicken thigh fillets
salt and pepper
250 grams washed spinach leaves
2 Tbs melted butter
6 – 8 black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
2 cm ginger, peeled and grated
2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp mild curry powder
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground coriander
2 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1/2 tsp garam masala
30 ml brown onion soup
30 ml sour cream or cream
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add spinach and blanch for 2 – 3 minutes. Drain well. In a food processor blend spinach to desired texture.
- Place butter in a large pot over a low heat, cook butter until light brown, but be careful not to burn.
- Add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and cumin seeds, fry for a minute or until aromatic.
- Add Sliced onion and increase heat to medium. Fry for 6-8 minutes until the onion is light golden brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chillies and fry for 2 minutes before stirring in chilli powder, curry powder, tumeric and coriander. Fry for about 30 seconds and stir in the chopped tomatoes. Continue to cook for 10 – 12 minutes
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well, cook for 5 minutes then reduce the heat and partially cover with a lid. Simmer gently for 30 minutes until the chicken is tender adding a little water if too dry.
- Add the spinach, garam masala, brown onion soup and sour cream and stir well. Re-cover and cook for 10 minutes. Serve hot with naan bread and/or basmati rice.