When I set my heart on trying a new recipe, I always try a few and choose the best. Often the best then evolves into something else.
I discovered a chocolate pinwheel cookie recipe in the book Cooking with Chocolate. The cookies were so pretty but that was where their charm ended, they tasted like bread, all looks and nothing else. The quest began to find the perfect chocolate pinwheel cookie. I really trust Angela Day recipes and found one for Chocolate mint pinwheels. Having decided that I’m not big on green cookies I substituted the mint essence with vanilla and left out the colouring. They were perfect.
Not stopping there, next I made them with a coffee twist. Here is the recipe.
MOCHA PINWHEEL COOKIES
250 g butter
310 ml castor sugar
750 ml flour
2 ml Baking Powder
45 ml cocoa
30 ml instant coffee
5 ml ground coffee beans
7ml boiling water
1. Cream butter and sugar
2. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy
3. Sieve in flour and Baking powder
4. Divide the dough in half
5. Add cocoa to 1 half and coffee dissolved in water to the other half
6. chill in refrigerator for 30 mins
7. Roll out each colour in a rough rectangle about 20 x 30 cm
8. brush one layer with milk and place the other on top
9. Roll the dough from the long side to form a sausage shape
10. Refrigerate the roll for 30 minutes.
11. Cut the roll into 5mm thick slices and place on a greased baking tray.
12. Bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes until firm to the touch.
13. Remove and cool on the tray.